Critical Thinking: Judy Barrass

Excerpt from Judy Barrass' artist statement:

“Using the book form allows me to work in three dimensions with an object that has several states of being. When I’m working I have in mind a one-on-one relationship with the viewer. It is an intimate conversation. The idea for one thing flows from the thought processes in creating others, and leads to some logical (I hope) conclusion of concept from a sometimes nebulous beginning. It is like I am discovering my own ideas from my working.

‘This land is your land, this land is my land’ had its genesis in an artist residency at the historic gold mining town of Hill End in NSW in 2003. Work from this residency flowed into the next year and an exhibition at Bathurst in late 2004.

In Hill End I was fascinated by the patchwork quilts and patched linoleum in the historic houses and by the buildings that had been repaired with many patches over the years. I made several works on the theme of patchwork quilts and the piecing together of things. In exploring this theme it occurred to me that on maps the mining leases were depicted as a layer over the Hill End landscape like a giant patchwork quilt following the contours of the hills and valleys. I made a book called ‘Hawkins Hill’ which is similar, but larger than ‘This land is your land’. My idea was to create a book that could be closed, but when fully open would be able to follow the contours of the surface on which it rested.

Another aspect of Hill End that fascinated me was the wooden and wire fences that march across the landscape, dividing each parcel of land from the other and I made several works about these fences and protection of one’s own patch.

In ‘This land is your land’, which was made immediately after I completed the Hill End works, those ideas came together. The earth itself in the beautiful colours of the collected clays and the way mankind is determined to divide it up into parcels of ownership.

The book was made for Books.04 at Noosa Regional Gallery. The theme was ‘Nature’. It is the nature of man to create divisions. We believe we own the earth.”
--Judy Barass—




Description: 24 clay tablets ‘bound’ together like a book, and housed concertina fashion, in a small black box.

Answer the following questions in relation to the above image and text concerning Judy Barrass’ artist book:

1. What materials and techniques has Judy Barrass used in her artist book titled This land is your land, this land is my land?

2. In your opinion, what are the relevant elements and principles of design in Barrass’ work?

3. Does Barrass have a precise concept when she starts creating her work? Explain fully.

4. Three specific elements directed the final concept behind Barrass’ artist book.

a. What are these three elements?
b. What is the final concept of This land is your land, this land is my land?

5. How does Barrass’ use of clay relate to the concept of This land is your land, this land is my land?

6. Is there another artist’s book that you have seen that has a similar concept and/or sculptural quality to Barrass’ artist book? Give details.

7. Analyse the similarities and differences between Barrass’ artist book and one other from another collection. Please include the title of second artist’s book, the
artist’s name and a list of the similarities and differences between the two (in sentences).